Taxi News and Views
Hi there Welcome to Taxi Eire.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Taxi News and Views
Hi there Welcome to Taxi Eire.
Taxi News and Views
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Cloud Based Dispatch VERY AFFORDABLE - www.Mytaxicloud.com
Taxi review to target repeat offenders & fraudsters by suspending licences Issued : Monday 17 October, 2011 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 20, 2013 9:31 pm by mytaxicloud

» Taxi Meters
Taxi review to target repeat offenders & fraudsters by suspending licences Issued : Monday 17 October, 2011 I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 8:22 pm by Discount Till Rolls

» After the county sticker campaign the regulator now has a clear view of those renting taxis, to see if there compliant these letters are being sent out.
Taxi review to target repeat offenders & fraudsters by suspending licences Issued : Monday 17 October, 2011 I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2011 5:29 pm by Admin

» This is a real Taxi drivers ID from TrustID taxi pilot scheme
Taxi review to target repeat offenders & fraudsters by suspending licences Issued : Monday 17 October, 2011 I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2011 10:02 am by Admin

» Election 2011
Taxi review to target repeat offenders & fraudsters by suspending licences Issued : Monday 17 October, 2011 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 12:55 pm by Admin

» GAA coach hit taxi driver
Taxi review to target repeat offenders & fraudsters by suspending licences Issued : Monday 17 October, 2011 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 12:26 pm by Admin

» SPSV Hackney license
Taxi review to target repeat offenders & fraudsters by suspending licences Issued : Monday 17 October, 2011 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 7:00 pm by Admin

» pics of Irelands Taxi Industry
Taxi review to target repeat offenders & fraudsters by suspending licences Issued : Monday 17 October, 2011 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 5:50 pm by Admin

» Taxi Video
Taxi review to target repeat offenders & fraudsters by suspending licences Issued : Monday 17 October, 2011 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2011 5:25 pm by Admin

QR Code
qrcode
RSS feeds

Yahoo! 
MSN 
AOL 
Netvibes 
Bloglines 

Taxi review to target repeat offenders & fraudsters by suspending licences Issued : Monday 17 October, 2011

Go down

Taxi review to target repeat offenders & fraudsters by suspending licences Issued : Monday 17 October, 2011 Empty Taxi review to target repeat offenders & fraudsters by suspending licences Issued : Monday 17 October, 2011

Post by Admin Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:57 pm

Statement by Alan Kelly TD
Minister of State, Department of Transport, Tourism & Sport
with responsibility for Public & Commuter Transport

* Flaws and loopholes in the current regulations must be eliminated
* Higher standards will be seen across the board in the taxi sector
The Government's review of the taxi sector will be completed in November this year.

Today, Minister Alan Kelly outlined some of the issues that are under consideration with a view to changes on the way for the taxi industry.A key priority for the review group is to make it difficult for certain categories of criminals to operate in the taxi sector while severely tightening up on those who commit benefit fraud or repeatedly breach the regulations.Conditions under which a taxi licence can be suspended will also be established as,there is no power at present to suspend a licence.The review, which is being chaired by Minister Kelly, was set up as a commitment under the programme for Government to initiate a complete review of the sector.

"The work of the review will be completed by November. The plans for the sector will be announced then. I am confident we can develop a much better system of regulation of the taxi sector for both the public and drivers alike and where certain categories of criminals will no longer be allowed operate in the sector,"
"There will be a whole range of measures forthcoming but among the priorities will be to establish the conditions under which a taxi licence can be suspended. There are none currently so it is only in quite extreme circumstances that a licence can be revoked," stated Minister Kelly.While the work is nearing completion, as a way of communicating with the taxi sector and the wider public, some of the matters currently under consideration are:

* Restricting the terms by which someone with a criminal record can hold a taxi licence
* Empowering consumers to become a key part of the enforcement system
* Much stricter controls on the taxi rental sector
* Streamlining the process of licensing and renewal to create a single licensing authority
* Exploring better systems for managing supply and demand
* Establishing defined conditions for the suspension of a taxi licence
* Extending the powers of the Gardai when it comes to on street enforcement
* Amending the conditions of holding a taxi licence to ensure compliance with Revenue and social welfare requirements.
* Better use of technology, linking consumers, drivers and regulators.

The Minister has engaged economic consultants Indecon to carry out a report on issues in the taxi market including, issues of oversupply. An official from the Department of Social Protection and a driver from the Taxi Alliance of Ireland have also been appointed to the review group.
While the review will complete its work shortly, Minister Kelly believes that the flaws and loopholes in the current regulations must be eliminated and that higher standards are seen across the board in the taxi sector.
"Currently there are no established conditions under which you can suspend a person's taxi licence. This will change."

"Similarly, an individual who owns multiple* licences has 21 days to provide paper based records of who was using their cars, if they are asked. Any rogue operator is going to have some kind of records after 21 days. This will change. This is just one example of a number of issues that will be reviewed. As Minister with responsibility for the taxi sector, I am committed to making this a sector that is fit for purpose for both consumers and taxi drivers alike," concluded Minister Kelly.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://taxieire.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down